I know I keep saying it, but it seems like just a day or two ago that I was writing last week’s Sunday thoughts! And yet, when I think back to Monday or Tuesday, they seem so long ago… Does that ever happen to you?
Anyway, today was our last day in Australia before we take to the skies tomorrow, and we have just come back from the beach, so here is a quick recap of this last week of holiday before our final family dinner:
New things I’ve learnt this week
- It’s been a fairly low-brow week again for me, but Ben did drag me away from an attempt at doing some work long enough to be interested by his comment that walking and running at a high speed both result in lower ground reaction forces going through the feet than jogging. So people who claim running is bad for their knees clearly aren’t running fast enough (of course there is more to it than that, but it’s good motivation to get faster)!
- We also got talking about how many calories certain things would burn (I can’t remember what it was that got us thinking, but I think it was something silly), and had some fun perusing this list of different activities; running at 10.9mph absolutely kills it in comparison to everything else (and remember, you’re less likely to sustain impact-related damage…). I was actually quite surprised at how big the difference was between different running speeds.
- Lastly, I was quite shocked to hear that the most commonly found items in a British shopping trolley are semi-skimmed milk, sliced ham, breakfast cereal, bacon, and milk chocolate! My guesses had been milk, white sliced bread, and cheddar cheese, and then I couldn’t decide between a bag of lettuce, apples, or juice… And probably should have guessed orange juice or jam. But I’d have been wrong – apparently the nation is far less healthy than even I give it credit for. No wonder the average BMI is solidly in the overweight category (27.2 for males and 26 for females)!
New things I have eaten this week
Nothing too crazy this week, as in between eating out and eating far too many vegan Anzac biscuits at my grandmother’s, I’ve just been enjoying lots of fresh fruit and veg – lots of juicy floral-tasting mangoes, creamy avocadoes, sweet crunchy carrots, refreshing crisp watermelon, sweet and rich cherries… I love it!
I also indulged in a Whittaker’s Dark Peanut Slab (see review on my Chocolates page) and tried out the Sanitarium veggie sausages. They’re not as good as mine and Ben’s favourite Taifun Grillsausages (actually, Vegusto were first, but they’re too expensive to really consider) but they were a close second. In fact, I ate an entire pack in one night – turns out they make a great snack.
Other highlights this week
- Getting a bit more training in; some good TRX training on Monday (made all the more entertaining by the presence of a very confused dog) and a Les Mills BodyPump class.I used to do a lot of BodyPump a few years ago, but it’s been a while, and Ben had never been before. We can’t remember how long it’s been since we were last in so much pain from DOMS!
- Going out on my cousin’s boat on Friday. We hit some really choppy waves on the way out which his young son didn’t enjoy at all, but I was loving it. We then dropped an anchor in some shallows and had a wade around, the water was the most perfect temperature and the scenery was beautiful – but as we were in the middle of a lake, I didn’t have my camera!
- Going for brunch with Ben. It’s nice to get away to do something between just the two of us, and some great food was just a bonus.
- On Saturday Ben and I went out on my cousin’s boat again. It was lovely to be out on the lake at night, enjoying the stillness and watching the sun set and the moon rise, surrounded by swaying lights from nearby boats before they turned in. We stayed out until 10.30pm, at which point we got a phone call from the worried family back at home, but for a moment there we enjoyed true peacefulness.
- This sounds so stupid, but I got a little bit of client work done and it was actually quite refreshing to use my brain again, and to feel like I was getting something done.
- I met my uncle for coffee on Friday morning. The coffee was great (flat white with soy milk) and we had a nice chat looking out at the lake in the sun.
So that’s my week! I hope you have all had a great week and I look forward to writing again soon… but first, 21 hours on a plane!
Happy Sunday everyone!