So apparently it has been a whole seven days since my last Sunday thoughts. Let’s see what I can dig up for you. This whole week has been a bit of a blur; lots of driving, lots of sandy feet walking along the beach, a standard amount of bananas, perhaps a bit more salad than usual.
New things I’ve learnt this week
I had promised myself I would have something interesting to say in this section this week! On a practical level, I guess I learnt how to drive in Australia. I’ve only driven on this side of the road once before, and that was a traumatic experience in London I try to avoid thinking about. So about 6 or 7 hours of driving later, I think it’s safe to say that’s something new that I’ve learnt.
Health and fitness wise, not much I’m afraid. Sorry!
New things I have eaten this week
You may have seen my post on places we ate in Cronulla – so most of those were new finds. Other than that;
- I tried some Rhythm Superfoods kale chips (found in the supermarket – you don’t get that in the UK!). I got the pineapple & coconut variety and, honestly, they weren’t very good. They had a slightly rancid taste to them – maybe the coconut oil and/or tahini had gone off? I got used to it about a third of the way through the bag and happily polished it off, but I won’t buy them again. Not that flavour, anyway!
- I also finally tried two new types of chocolate; a Tabasco Spicy Dark Chocolate Wedge, and Whittaker’s Dark Ghana 72% Cocoa. Both were OK – neither was particularly good chocolate in my opinion, but the Tabasco heat was dialled up to just the perfect level in the former, while the latter sometimes just hits the right spot.
- I haven’t taken protein shakes in a long time, but for the sake of review I couldn’t resist buying a bag of Redbak Rapid Soy Protein Isolate – it’s Australian, and as a vegan-friendly protein isolate with added amino acids for faster absorption and better recovery, it’s not a product I’ve seen on the market before. I have to say it doesn’t taste great, even in comparison to other protein powders, but it’s good to have a product of its type (full review on my supplements page soon). Also, a big kudos to the manager/staff at My Supplement Store at Charlestown Square who didn’t look at me like I had sprouted two heads when I spoke to him about plant-based protein, and who had actually tried his products and was able to chat to me about them. He also gave me an extra protein sample of another vegan product, which was much appreciated, as well as a free shaker. I don’t often see competent retail anymore.
Other highlights this week
- Catching up with our friend (and my first no-gi BJJ coach!), Ollie, in Cronulla and being able to just hang out.
- Driving again. Yes it was slightly stressful at times (*cough*parkingticket*cough*) but it was quite nice to develop an additional skill and to remember that I can drive. And we had a cute little car, too.
- Seeing my cousin and his family today, over at my grandma’s. I hadn’t seen her in over a week so that was nice in itself (and she had made yet another vegan cake!) but I typically only see my cousin once a trip so it’s quite special.
- Yesterday afternoon Ben and I walked into town with the intention of swimming, but the water looked really quite murky and not overly fun to splash around in, so we ended up walking to the end of a jetty and dangling our feet in as we had a good chat in the evening sun. Definitely a highlight of the week.
- More beachy sandy sunny times!
I’ll have to leave it short and sweet for today, as I have dinner to tend to, a granddad to call, and Madmen to watch… and sleep to be had, as apparently sleeping 9-10 hours a night is now just what happens all the time.
I hope you have all had a wonderful week and that nobody is caught in any of the number of natural disasters that are lashing the world at the moment. Keep warm (or cool, as appropriate) and safe – and have fun!