How I manage to be so busy when I don’t have a 35-hour-a-week job, I will never understand! Also, how I manage to sleep a minimum of 9 hours, often 10 hours, consistently, is beyond me. Still, self-employment is definitely suiting me well. I haven’t been able to blog as much as I would have liked, and training has been fairly mediocre this week, but I’m healthy and as excited as ever about all elements of my business being pieced together.
So on with the stand-out elements of this last week of June 2013:
New things I have learnt this week
I’ve been taking a Coursera course on Nutrition for Health Prevention and Disease Promotion. A few interesting figures I retained from this:
- Although all nutrition guidelines and recommendations vary according to each individual’s weight, genes, health status and activity levels, everyone needs a minimum of 130g of carbohydrate a day. I hadn’t realised this was a population-wide recommendation, and found that really interesting.
- I found out that the safe upper limit for vitamin C intake is 2000mg per day. I know it’s easy to look these things up, but it’s nice to know that sometimes I remember something solidly.
New things I have eaten this week
This isn’t normally the section I struggle with, but this week I really haven’t experimented very much! Truth be told, I have been enjoying eating bits and pieces as and when I get hungry – fruit, nuts, salads, yoghurts, various protein smoothie combinations… I guess the only thing I can point out that has been quite significant for my little vegan world is that I finally got a chance to try Daiya cheese yesterday! The Karma Free Pizza Company were (obviously) going all out for Vegan Pizza Day and had gotten some in – they even saved a little bit for me and Ben to try as we were coming a little later in the day, how’s that for customer service? I have to say I was surprised by how little it melted – maybe it needed to be used in larger quantities? – but it certainly was tasty!
Other highlights this week
- Being able to take a personal training session outdoors, in the sun, in a pleasant park for the first time… And seeing my client work hard and really start to feel the benefits.
- Getting some great feedback from my circuits class and abs class!
- Seeing the first mock-up of my new website coming together, thanks to Eilidh Urquhart. It’s hard to trust somebody to try and articulate the thoughts and visions that only you can see in your mind’s eye, so it’s just amazing when they come back to you with exactly the right thing.
- My first ever photo shoots, with the wonderful Mel Brown. We did a studio shoot, and then a fun outdoor shoot in the park on the hottest day of the year so far. It was fun to catch up with Mel, but it was also great to know that she totally understands who I am and what I am going for, and knows how to get that across in the photos.
I think that’s about it for today – a short and sweet post so you can all get back to enjoying the sunshine and warmth, and so that I can get on with making all these wonderful exciting things happen for Great Expectations Fitness in order to share them with you soon!