Just a brief one from me for today – not a huge amount to reflect on after a week of holiday, as everything just gets dealt with in its own time, so no need to try and squeeze positives out of the week at the end!
New things I have learnt this week
- I have been reading about manganese as I know Ben is a fan of it, and has trouble finding it in the UK, but we have now found a supplement over here. As with any micronutrient there are many health benefits associated with it, mainly to do with metabolism, bone health and healing processes. I suppose one of the reasons we never hear about it is that we tend to be able to get a sufficient amount through diet alone, and it is only athletes and individuals having suffered a trauma or disease who require additional levels. The reason it is beneficial for these groups of people is that it is an antioxidant, helps with the metabolism of vitamin E, and helps reduce inflammation. Another reason we may not hear more about its benefits, is the list of possible side effects which include Parkinsons-like tremors. One interesting fact I came across was that low levels of manganese cause epileptic seizures, but that manganese supplements do not prevent them or reduce their intensity – I find this quite strange, but I love how it highlights the complexity of the human body and all its chemical processes. The good news is that all the highest sources of manganese are vegan!
New things I have eaten this week
Like last Sunday, although I have eaten plenty of different brands and in many different establishments, I won’t be listing them this week or next week just because they don’t constitute new food experiences, and won’t be changing the way I eat simply because I won’t have access to these brands when I’m back in the UK.
- Although I have had soy ice cream before, I figured it was worth pointing out that I have tried So Good vanilla soy ice cream. It’s tasty, but I think Swedish Glace is better – this one had a bit of a soy taste to it which I have never found with Swedish Glace, but none of the non-vegans found that so it’s not a problem!
- I treated myself to a bag of dark chocolate-coated roast almonds from the Hunter Valley Chocolate Company. They are tasty and very much hit the spot after a meal or for a mid-afternoon nibble, but I can’t say the chocolate itself was anything sensational.
- The protein I ordered online still hasn’t arrived, so I swallowed the price tag and bought a tub of Herbs of Gold Green Power Protein from the local Go Vita health food store. I will write up a proper post on it and its various ingredients I think, but let me just say that it is the tastiest, most palatable protein drink I have ever tasted. If it cost just a bit (like, 30%) less, I would probably ditch everything and continue with this one. Unfortunately I won’t be able to afford it at the moment.
Other highlights this week
- Seeing the family together, especially three of the four sisters having a laugh together.
- Making a birthday cake for my aunt – the birthday cake itself was a bit of a disaster, but icing and decorating it was good fun and surprisingly successful. It was nice to be able to make something nice for someone. And everyone loved it, which is great for a vegan chocolate cake!
- Going to the gym on Monday and having a really good squat session.
- Taking a wander along the lake on Saturday morning with Ben and going for breakfast – it was just nice to get out of the house and do something a little different.
- Actually stopping at one of the many beautiful beaches in the area and getting in the water for a little paddle. It was a bit chilly as the sun was just starting to think about finishing its work for the day, but still so much fun.
That’s it from me for today. I’ve got sunshine to play in!